- 1 What are important nursing considerations when caring for a patient with chronic corticosteroid use?
- 2 Which complications is a patient at risk for when taking corticosteroids for a prolonged time select all that apply?
- 3 Can you take corticosteroids long-term?
- 4 What are the possible side effects of long-term use of corticosteroids?
- 5 What are the 2 main types of steroids?
- 6 What can you teach someone about prednisone?
- 7 What is the major reason to use corticosteroids?
- 8 What medicines have steroids in them?
- 9 Is 10mg prednisone a lot?
- 10 Can you stay on prednisone for life?
- 11 Can you stay on steroids forever?
- 12 Should I drink more water while taking prednisone?
- 13 What are the worst side effects of steroids?
- 14 Who should avoid using corticosteroids?
- 15 What do steroids do to muscles?
What are important nursing considerations when caring for a patient with chronic corticosteroid use?
Nursing interventions for patients using inhaled steroids include:
- Not for immediate relief.
- Proper tapering of steroids.
- Use decongestant drops.
- Oral care.
- Monitor for signs of infection.
- Educate the client.
- Ensure the effectiveness of the drug.
- Provide support.
Which complications is a patient at risk for when taking corticosteroids for a prolonged time select all that apply?
The prolonged use of corticosteroids can cause obesity, growth retardation in children, and even lead to convulsions and psychiatric disturbances. Reported psychiatric disturbances include depression, euphoria, insomnia, mood swings, and personality changes.
Can you take corticosteroids long-term?
Long – term corticosteroid therapy may cause thinning bones (osteoporosis). Talk with your doctor about taking calcium and vitamin D supplements to help protect your bones. Take care when discontinuing therapy.
What are the possible side effects of long-term use of corticosteroids?
Long – term corticosteroid use may be associated with more serious sequel, including osteoporosis, aseptic joint necrosis, adrenal insufficiency, gastrointestinal, hepatic, and ophthalmologic effects, hyperlipidemia, growth suppression, and possible congenital malformations.
What are the 2 main types of steroids?
“Steroids” can also refer to man-made medicines. The two main types are corticosteroids and anabolic-androgenic steroids (or anabolics for short).
What can you teach someone about prednisone?
you should know that prednisone may decrease your ability to fight infection and may prevent you from developing symptoms if you get an infection. Stay away from people who are sick and wash your hands often while you are taking this medication. Be sure to avoid people who have chicken pox or measles.
What is the major reason to use corticosteroids?
Corticosteroids are mainly used to reduce inflammation and suppress the immune system. They are used to treat conditions such as: asthma. allergic rhinitis and hay fever.
What medicines have steroids in them?
Types of oral steroids
Is 10mg prednisone a lot?
Dosage reductions should not exceed 5-7.5mg daily during chronic treatment. Allergic and skin disorders Initial doses of 5-15mg daily are commonly adequate. Collagenosis Initial doses of 20-30mg daily are frequently effective. Those with more severe symptoms may require higher doses.
Can you stay on prednisone for life?
Long Term Side Effects of Prednisone Can Be Severe Long -term use of prednisone may lead to bone loss and osteoporosis. It can cause changes in the distribution of body fat which together with fluid retention and weight gain may give your face a moon-like appearance.
Can you stay on steroids forever?
You should NOT stop on your own accord even if you are feeling better. If you have been using steroids for more than a few weeks (or a week in the case of prednisone 40 mg per day or more) you will need to gradually reduce the dose before stopping completely.
Should I drink more water while taking prednisone?
Fluid retention can cause weight gain but as steroids are reduced, fluids will usually reduce as well, along with some of the weight gain. Drinking plenty of water and exercising can help with fluid retention.
What are the worst side effects of steroids?
Both men and women who take anabolic steroids may:
- Get acne.
- Have an oily scalp and skin.
- Get yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
- Become bald.
- Have tendon rupture.
- Have heart attacks.
- Have an enlarged heart.
- Develop significant risk of liver disease and liver cancer.
Who should avoid using corticosteroids?
heart attack. liver disease. type 2 diabetes. underactive thyroid, or hypothyroidism.
What do steroids do to muscles?
Besides making muscles bigger, anabolic steroids may reduce the muscle damage that occurs during a hard workout, helping athletes recover from the session more quickly and enabling them to work out harder and more frequently.